The Indiana Tobacco Quitline will help youth become tobacco-free for life.
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline now serves youth tobacco users. This new evidence-based phone counseling program is for teens, ages 13 to 17, who are ready to quit.
Indiana youth will receive a series of five proactive outbound calls from an experienced Youth Quit Coach trained in tobacco cessation counseling. These proactive calls provide personalized counseling utilizing cognitive-behavioral strategies and motivational support specifically tailored to youths.
The date and time of scheduled calls are planned and confirmed at each intervention to optimize success. Calls are made semi-weekly to weekly, and are scheduled around the youth’s quit date (0-3 days of their planned quit day) to provide support and to prevent relapse.
The program is designed to help teens stop using tobacco permanently. These participants will also receive age-appropriate educational materials and additional help via unlimited access to a toll-free support line that is available 24/7.
Summary of Program Features
• Personalized counseling from highly skilled Youth Quit Coaches
• Comprehensive self-paced educational materials
• Quit plan development
• Anonymous, non-judgmental support
• Support between scheduled calls via a toll-free support line
• Health education and information
• Refusal and problem-solving skills development
• Discussion of triggers, peer influences, environmental/household exposure to tobacco use, stressors
• Relapse prevention through planning and preparation